Saturday, February 19, 2011

Artist Statement I


Here is my first attempt at writing my Artist Statment
Artist Statement I
I have a happy life and because of my life I create happy paintings.  I use bright colors to excite the viewers’ eyes and to spark memories of their childhood days when everything was light and cheerful. My goals as an artist is to attract a viewer, bring them into my paintings, and have them escape their mature life. I want them to get caught up in my delicious colors, and live in a fantasy world made of sugary bake goods and looking at my paintings you will not gain a pound.
Aspirating to be an elementary art teacher has affected my art style. I love to teach children and my style appeals to them. I use bright colors and simplistic compositions to attract the dream like quality that children possess. Life as a child is simple, carefree, and full of wonderment. This is how I feel as an artist. I draw in a simplistic way that is playful and whimsical. My painting style is bold and vibrant, similar to how a child finger-paints, without any fear. I create a style of art that is visual appealing to children but also bring out the child in an adult viewer. I want to bring you back to the days where you would put your noise up against the glass and stare adoringly at some tasty treat that you want to eat as a kid.
To create these tasty paintings, I was inspired by abstract expressionistic paintings. I was attracted by the thick paint that would build on the canvas. Then the idea of using this thick paint to create a realistic texture began to develop. I use large amounts of oil paints to create the texture in my desserts. Then I use various objects to sculpt into the paint to create different textures. With masking the paint texture to mimic the realistic texture, I achieve a three-dimensional quality to my paintings. Underneath I use my bright pallet to enhance the playful, childlike quality in my style. 

No comments:

Post a Comment